Sunday, December 12, 2010

Weekend Christmas Craft-acular

So, on our last sane weekend of the year, I made a conscious decision to lay low and enjoy each other at home and get crafty...aka, messy. Although our holidays frequently have us not home, I want my boys to have lasting memories of the Christmas season at home in the place they grow up. A mental filmstrip of traditions and moments that make our home for the holidays (well really any day) a magical place to be. So I decorate to the nines. I come up with a plan and we see what happens. Oh and isn't he precious???

DSC_0132.jpgDSC_0131.jpg

Anyway, I digress...Last week I gathered our materials and we fired up our creativity (them), patience (me) and went where the wind took us

First we made this awesome wreath that I saw in a quick clip on Good Morning America. Seriously, one of the easiest and most rewarding things ever. With 7 $1 tubes of assorted sized ornaments from Target, a wire hanger unlinked and a fancy bow I whipped up from some ribbon on hand, we made this awesome wreath for less than $10. Just thread those assorted size ornaments on and settle them together...and this is what you get!

DSC_0064.jpgDSC_0072.jpg

And they were soooo excited seeing it come together and taking turns putting the next ornament on the hanger. I tried to assist in ornament selection for the best fit to nest them together, but was rejected...so it is a little off...but I pretty much decided I could make a ton a garland like this cheaply...and do it "my" way. But I think it came out pretty nice for a 1 year old and 2 year old.

We had a few ornaments left over that I let the boys hang on our tree...apparently they would be lonely if separated...

DSC_0100.jpgDSC_0103.jpg

I got a wild hair and took down our protective gate from around the tree. I figure in a week or so, the boys have to deal with another ungated tree, that I better get them ready before we go for all our sanity. So, we spent a good deal of time practicing our "one finger touch". It is going remarkably well with only 1 broken ornament so far...nothing important.

DSC_0106.jpgDSC_0126.jpgDSC_0116.jpgDSC_0128.jpg

Finally in the category of activity that they enjoyed most and that we did on and off all weekend...would be...giant cookie house/train with all the candy you can imagine...and by proximity....EAT! It was a "put-your-blinders-on-mom" free for all on sugar...but they had a ball! And even I got to do one all by myself...it was awesome...

DSC_0152.jpg
DSC_0037.jpgDSC_0020.jpgDSC_0026.jpgDSC_0016.jpg

And on that note...exhausted momma falling asleep at the key board...over and out...

No comments: