Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dear Radley - Month Two


Dear Radley,

On Sunday you were two months old. We celebrated this by taking a trip to the mall play area so we could all get out of the house and your brother could run and play to his hearts content in a relatively contained area. You, slept through the whole thing only awaking long enough to have a snack. Which is sort of how you seem to roll in all your baby coolness.
You sleep an awful lot, which on one hand worries me a bit and on the other, I celebrate your sleepiness and consider the alternative and thank my lucky stars.


In official news:
- You now weigh 12lbs 1 oz and are 23 3/4" long (still on the big side of the spectrum)

- You love the bath, the swing, the boppy baby pillow, long walks, riding in the baby sling. You are pretty much content in any baby apparatus on the market...except for the pack n play - aka your crib which is my biggest challenge

- You smile all the time and i love each and every one.

- You are a very happy baby.

As month 2 draws to a close I want to share with you my intention of these letters less you think that it is only to embarass you by preserving my memories of your cute baby butt on the internet to be available via Google search for all time. I am writing you these letters to document the things you and I and your brother are learning and doing as you grow. I have not gotten you a baby book yet and only half filled out your brothers, so I at this point this blog is how I document your baby-life. I hope that one day you will enjoy reading these, but more likely you will be mortified. And that, my son, is the beauty of parenthood. You are my child and I can traumatize you and your brother as I see fit. In turn, you can one day start your own blog to share my shortcomings with other kids of bloggers.

But know this little one...I have fallen completely, totally and madly in love with you. I love your tiny-ness and seeing you look around and absorb the world around you. You are such a laid back baby.

As I waited for you to arrive everyone warned me that there is no way that you would be as laid back as Maverick had been. And I believed that too as your brother was one laid back baby. But you have suprised us all and in reality you are even more laid back than your brother and you sleep a whole lot more too, which is a bonus...and don't scream endlessly in the car seat so we can actually venture out into the world without your momma developing a twitch from the blood curdling screaming on the way.

In your second month of life, you are spending a great deal of time staring at things in your world. It makes me wonder what is going on in that brain of yours as you do.

Probaby your biggest flaw is that you are not too fond of being left alone or "un-held", so your nanny and I decided that it is a good time to learn to use the slings that your bother only ever tolerated in order for us to get anything done around here. We were pleasantly suprised to find that you love the sling.

You love hunkering down in there and nap away while we putter around the house accomplishing little tasks or saving your brother from his latest peril. At times I look down and you are awake and just scouting out new things to stare at and happy as can be bouncing around with us as we do these day to day things.

Having you as my second baby is an absolute dream. Seeing you interact with your brother and how big he is now serves as a constant reminder to me how quickly this will all go by and soon you will be your own little person with your own thoughts, ideas and opinions.
Soon I will be hearing "mommy, mommy, mommy" a thousand times a day and I can't wait. At times I want to stop time and lock you in as you are now - so sweet, tiny and perfect. I take photos of you every day..hundreds and thousands of photos so I can capture your sweet infant self.

I am reminded by another, that one day you will not look anything like you do in these pictures and I want to remember your little-ness and keep this tiny pure part of you in my heart forever. To remember always... As the days fly by, you just grow and grow and grow..
Time is passing so fast. I can hardly believe that I have already had to pack up all your newborn clothes and you are out of your newborn diapers and in a week or so you will be out of size 1 as well. This past weekend I busted out the 3-6 month clothing size. It is crazy to me how life with you is all going by so fast and the miracle that it is even happening at all.

For now, the thought that occupies a good bit of my mind when I am not trying to figure out some immediate mommy task like who just pooped or how to get a bottle filled while simultaneously keeping Mack from falling off a table and busting his head is the fact that I am now a mom of TWO! That I am a supposedly responsible parent.
It is not that I did not know this was coming, but there is something very overwhelming about the reality of it that can catch me off guard at times. I have moments almost every day that I realize how unalterably my life has changed because you and your brother are here. I dont expect it will be easy, but I do know that this path I am on with you two feels right and is oh so fulfilling and I have a new found enthusiasm for the adventures to come. I hope you enjoy the ride.

I love you,
Mommy


And because I totally borrowed aka ripped off this amazing photographers idea for the chalk photo....We took several and I just could not decide which I liked better...so here is a peek at some of the others... I just loved this idea! I hope to have her do a session for us sometime soon!

No comments: