Monday, March 2, 2009

March 2 - Not-so-fun-gel

OK, so last Friday Maverick and I had our friends over for our Friday Baby Class which we love, by the way. We did this fun activity of letting the babies play in a baby pool full of jello. Well having done this once before, we had decided that true Jello brand Jello was too cold, so we had the great idea of using Fun-Gel, jello wrestling jello which can be made with warm water. It worked perfectly. Mack wouldn't go near the stuff or I would have posted pics, but most of the rest of the little ones had a blast. However, when it was over we dumped the fun in the yard thinking it would break down....that was 3 days ago....it isnt going anywhere....So I went out today to scoop up what I could...in the rain... This is about 7 gallons worth...so far...

This stuff is hard to wrangle....

Ultimately I ended up with a little less that 10 gallons that I could get up...and much more serving as a barrier to any liquid penetration to the dirt below which is now evident by the swamp I created when I tried to water down the remaining to dissolve into the dirt...This stuff is nasty...it is a good thing is it so fun. Here is a tip: For you next jello-wrestling event put this stuff somewhere you dont care how long it takes to dissolve. It claims to be biodegradable, but I am now aware that it does not tell you how long that will take.

I watered down the remaining...which now has left a lagoon-like area in the middle of the back yard...but it already looks a good bit better. I am going to let it sit for the next few days and see what happens. I have a feeling my spring gardening bill will have a line item for a patch of new sod. Now I just have to decide if I tell the gardener the truth or plead ignorance....

No comments: